onsdag 2. februar 2011

The Book Thief


I've finally came around to read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It's been in my book collection for about a year, but I started reading it during summer and it's not exactly a light holidayread. I'm glad I gave the book another chance. The idea of having a book with the view of Death is kind of disturbing, but fascinating. The way it's written reminds a bit of the storyteller voice in plays, and I like that. The book jumps back and forth in time to get the story to different people who comes Liezl's way in Himmelstrasse! The book doesn't take to the centre of action during World War II, but to this little street, Himmelstrasse. We get to know German's people struggle to survive during winter, lack of food, clothes and no money! The way Liezl is described and her foster parents, who we don't get much sympathy for at once, but when the story unfolds, they certainly got my sympathy. People in real life are often very complex and not just good or bad. I think Markus Zusak really managed to describe the diversity in people. He gives his characters depth, and that's one thing that drives this book forward, the interesting characters. This is absolutely a book I recommend you to read.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar